1800's Farmhouse where I grew up

Friday, January 14, 2011

FFFF

Known as my kids were growing up as Finelli Friday Family Fun night, our weeks at school ended each Friday with a type of family celebration. For a period of about 10 years, our traditional Friday nights meant pizza, a video ( PRE-DVDs), and soda.  I may have been the only mom EVER, according to my daughter, who only allowed them to have soda on Friday nights.  And....it wasn't one of the name brands, usually the store brand of black cherry.  At that time, however, there were no complaints. We all loved our Friday nights AND our black cherry soda.
As the kids grew into high school and new activities, our Friday nights became less frequent, interspersed with football games, soccer matches, and band performances.  Initially, the loss of family time made the nights we could cozy up around the tv much more special.  In recent years, I can count on both hands how many times we have actually rented a movie.  Interestingly, when we are all together for a weekend or a holiday, pizza and a movie... with plenty of together time, is still our go-to activity. 
It may seem predictable to say that it wasn't the day or the movies, but the together time that made these Friday nights so memorable, but, it is oh so true.  I can't remember what movies we watched back then, but I will always remember donning PJs and cuddling on the couch to watch.  I DO remember the pizza and black cherry soda, as it has stuck with me both in memory and most noticeably on my hips!
Interestingly, my daughter has a young man in her life who is also a movie fan, since his grandmother frequently took him to movies as a boy.  In their life together they also spend cozied up nights experiencing the dramas, comedies, and action films that are available these days for next to nothing. 
I am happy that our Friday family fun is already part of the next generation, and look forward to Future Finelli Friday Family Fun nights (FFFFF?) with all my kids! MISS YOU!
A warm country hug to all,
Lisa <3

No comments:

Post a Comment