1800's Farmhouse where I grew up

Monday, January 31, 2011

Start Your Engines!

As the next winter storm bears down on Pennsylvania, and the entire northeast for that matter, people are scurrying like squirrels, bringing supplies home to the nest.  I have years of experience managing the chaotic supply rush before storms, and have realized two things. First, I have enough stores at home to make do for a week or more, and my squirrel-like behavior is totally unnecessary. Secondly, if I really do think I may "need" something, get it TWO days before the impending bad weather.  The other squirrels aren't onto this idea yet.
A brief dash into KMart today netted me several bargain movies, in the hopes that we will be snowed in for a few days.  My squirrelish tendencies are hard to break. Previously I had stated that I was so "over" the constant snow. I am a woman, and with that, I retain, now and forever, the prerogative to change my mind.  So let it snow, and pass the popcorn.
Prepping for a big winter storm here, with stores over 20 minutes away, includes running the generator engines to be sure, in the event ice takes out our electricity, that we will still have power.  In the past we have hooked the refrigerator, essential lights, or the microwave up to the generator.  It was also decidedly sinful to watch  a DVD with the hum of the generator in the background.  Having lived through nearly a week without power prior to purchasing a generator, I realize how frivolous it sounds, but how necessary it can be to 21st century sanity.
So gentlemen, start your engines! Here's hoping and praying we can all hunker down and wait out the storm in warmth and safety.
A warm country hug to all,
Lisa <3

No comments:

Post a Comment